In congregations blessed with children, the transition into the new year is a good time to give careful thought to what might be done to renew their ministries to children. Here are two articles that provide assistance.
- An Introduction to Children’s Ministry. This article from GCI provides a comprehensive plan for organizing a children’s ministry. Here is its introductory paragraph:
Children are a blessing from the Lord. With these blessings also come responsibilities. As stewards of God’s children, parents are responsible for helping children grow physically, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually. Churches have a responsibility toward children, too. We want to provide an environment in which children are safe, are taught at an age-appropriate level, and are encouraged to develop a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- 11 Ways to Strengthen Your Church’s Children’s Ministry. This blog post from Chuck Lawless offers achievable ways to renew and refresh your ministry to children (click on the title above for details):
- Enlist your best workers for this ministry.
- Train the workers well.
- Establish clear security protocols.
- Upgrade your facilities for children.
- Don’t lower the bar when teaching children.
- Capitalize on media resources.
- Develop a church membership and beginning discipleship class for children.
- Hang out with the children.
- Kneel when talking to children.
- If you’re a preacher, remember the children in the audience.
- Establish prayer partners with children.